Key Considerations For Dementia Care Near Decatur, IL
We should note that this list is not exhaustive. There are many things you'll want to consider when looking for dementia care services, such as experience, total costs, and so on.
That said, these are undoubtedly some of the top things you'll want to carefully think through during your search.
1. Location, Location, Location
It might sound obvious, but the location of your loved one's memory care community is very important. Why? For a handful of reasons:
- Your loved one's comfort - Did your loved one grow up in Decatur? How would they feel about living outside of the Decatur area?
- Your travel time - Think about how far you'll be willing to travel to visit your loved one in their new community.
- Your loved one's future - Would your loved one prefer to spend the next few years in a quiet community? What's most important for your loved one's future?
The Aspen Creek of Sullivan, for instance, is a very well-situated community for your loved one. Our facility is located in the quiet and quaint town of Sullivan, IL – a terrific area for your loved one to enjoy each day safely and comfortably. The Aspen Creek is roughly a 30-minute drive from Decatur, IL, so your family can easily visit whenever you like.
2. Community Specializations
A quick Google search for senior living communities near you will reveal many options for your loved one. However, there are many forms of residential care for seniors and many of them do not specialize in dementia care services.
For example, most assisted living communities are not specifically designed for people with dementia. Some assisted living facilities and nursing homes have memory care units on-site for a few residents, but these special care units may not provide enough support for your loved one's needs.
3. The Facility Environment
A senior living community should never look or feel like a hospital wing. Instead, you should look for a community that looks, feels, and even smells like home.
It's well known that seniors with dementia can easily become confused, frustrated, and disoriented (Dementia.com). Fortunately, a pleasing and familiar home-like environment can help reduce or minimize those symptoms of dementia.
For instance, every little part of the Aspen Creek of Sullivan is designed to look and feel like home. From the seasonal decor and quaint furnishings in our open family-style kitchen to the soothing wall colors and textures throughout our residence, we've gone the extra mile to foster that home-like feeling for our residents.
As you compare various facilities, be sure to get a sense of each environment.
4. Amenities And Features
Care homes for dementia will typically offer a wide array of amenities and special features. It's important to think about your loved one's interests and needs so that you can understand what facility features are most important for them.
Take the time to review the offered amenities and unique features at each memory care facility. These may include:
- Accommodations - What kind of living arrangements are available for your loved one? Would they have a shared apartment or a private suite?
- Meals - How might the meals be served to your loved one? Will they accommodate specific diets?
- Activity Programs - Are there any daily activity programs that your loved one may benefit from?
- Therapy Services - What kind of beneficial therapies are offered within a given community?
5. Care Plans
Many memory care facilities tend to take a person-centered approach to dementia care services. This means the caregivers will personalize their services to each resident based on their preferences, past experiences, physical abilities, and care needs.
However, it's important to consider how these care plans are developed and evaluated. Dementia is a progressive disease, which means your loved one's care needs may change over time. So, how will the facility adjust its approach for your loved one?
You'll need to speak directly with a facility representative to get further information on their approach. When chatting with them, remember to ask these key questions:
- How are resident care plans developed?
- Who is involved in creating a resident's care plan?
- How often are the care plans re-evaluated and adjusted?
- Do you keep family members regularly updated on care plan changes?
In an ideal situation, care plans should be re-assessed and updated every 2-3 months (depending on your loved one's health).
Tour The Creeks To See Our Approach To Dementia Care Near Decatur, IL
If you're looking for quality memory care services near Decatur, IL, you've come to the right place.
At The Creeks, we are not your run-of-the-mill assisted living facility. We've worked hard to create a warm and welcoming home-like environment for seniors living with dementia. We personalize our memory care services to each individual and we go the extra mile to form a strong bond with each resident. And best of all, our quaint community is only 30 minutes away from Decatur. What could be better than that?
Schedule your tour of the Aspen Creek of Sullivan today and see why we're a top option for dementia care near Decatur, IL.